A Gorgeous Cover + A Questionable Plot // REVIEW: Layover by Amy Andelson and Emily Meyer

Title: Layover
Authors: Amy Andelson and Emily Meyer
Publication Date: February 6th 2018
Publisher: Crown Books for Young Readers (PRH)
Part of a Series?: No, A Standalone
I Got A Copy Through: PRH International (THANK YOU!)
Buy Links: Amazon US || Barnes and Noble || Wordery || Kobo || Books A Million || Chapters Indigo || Google Books
Blurb Description: Flynn: At first we were almost strangers. But ever since I moved to New York, Amos was the one person I could count on. And together we were there for Poppy. (I mean, what kind of parents leave their kid to be raised by a nanny?) I just didn’t expect to fall for him—and I never expected him to leave us.
Amos: I thought I was the only one who felt it. I told myself it was because we were spending so much time together—taking care of Poppy and all. But that night, I could tell she felt it, too. And I freaked out—you’re not supposed to fall for your stepsister. So I ran away to boarding school. I should have told her why I was leaving, but every time I tried, it felt like a lie.
One missed flight was about to change their lives forever….
THIS COVER IS GORGEOUS, and it's pretty much the first thing that struck me about this book. I've finished reading it, and it's STILL the thing I think about the most. 

What I expected this book to be about: A Meet Cute fluffy romance set in an airport due to a delayed layover. (I somehow glazed over the fact that they were step-siblings in when I was reading the description)

What this book was about: Three slightly spoils Upper East Side step-siblings and how they run away from a vacation. Also, two of them are in love but won't admit it and their younger sister has OCD and anxiety. 

What I currently feel about this book: NEUTRAL? I feel like the things I liked and the things I disliked evened each other out and I'm left stuck in the middle. Let me explain further: 

THINGS I LIKED: 

1. Disneyland: YES FOR DISNEYLAND MAKING AN APPEARANCE IN THIS BOOK. I've been to two different Disneylands in my life -one in Orlando and one in Hong Kong - and I ADORED both of them. It truly made me happy to see "The Happiest Place on Earth" in such a book. 

2. The Backdrop and the Fluffy Book: There's always time for a fun contemporary in the middle of a hectic like, and to some extent, Layover was it. I also haven't read many books set in Los Angeles and I LOVED the descriptions and the vibe it added to the book.

THINGS I DIDN'T LIKE:

1. Playing House: Amos and Flynn, the two step siblings, were honestly playing house with their younger sibling, Poppy. Both of them pretended to be Poppy's parents and they were in love with each other but didn't admit and and IT ALL GAVE OFF A VERY WEIRD VIBE. Yes, I read a book set in L.A, and now I use the word Vibe a lot. 

2. Slut Shaming + The Not Like Other Girls Crap: I DID NOT LIKE AMOS' CHARACTER. Here are some instances why: 

--- When girls wear clothes he things are 'inappropriate' they are all SLUTS WHO ARE TRYING TOO HARD. Man, SHUT UP, SIT DOWN AND LET GIRLS WEAR WHAT THEY WANT TO. 

--- When his step sister and love interest has consensual sex and then comes home the next morning, HE LOCKS HER OUT AND STARES AT HER THROUGH THE DOOR, REFUSING TO LET HER COME IN BECAUSE HE WANTS HER TO WALLOW IN HER SHAME.

3. Rich Kids Galore: THIS BOOK WAS FILLED WITH A RICH, PRIVILEGED BUNCH OF SIBLINGS, that claimed their lives were so hard but needed a reality check. 

--- Logic: When your parents are taking you in a cruise/ vacation to break some bad news, DUMP YOUR EXPENSIVE PHONES IN THE TRASH AND RUN AWAY AND NOT RESPOND WHEN YOUR PARENTS ARE FRANTICALLY EMAILING YOU. #Responsible 

--- Not realise that your KID SISTER NEEDS MEDS, AND BE FOCUSED ON YOUR OWN ANGST SO MUCH THAT YOU LOSE HER TWICE . 

--- Steal the VERY EXPENSIVE car and CREDIT CARD of the boy who took you in after you ran away to go to Disneyland because you know your parents can pay him back. No problem. Just a little bit of IDENTITY THEFT AND FRAUD AND THIEVERY. 

I mean, come to think of it, I'm probably not as neutral as I once claimed after all the ranting. I apologise for my own confusion. 

It's a mediocre book with a BEAUTIFUL cover that I'm just not sure what I feel about. Maybe that should tell you something? 2.75 Stars.

Amy Andelson & Emily Meyer worked together for 10 years on  coming-of-age movies and TV shows such as Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List, Step Up 3D, and a contemporary adaptation of The Great Gatsby. LAYOVER is thier first young adult novel.

What do you feel about books with romantic relationships between family members, if they're not related by blood?
I'm unsure where I stand, but I would LOVE to hear your thoughts.

What are some of your cover buys? I have this intense NEED to request books with beautiful covers.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment