Oodles of Drama // REVIEW: Royce Rolls by Margaret Stohl

Title: Royce Rolls
Author: Margaret Stohl
Publication Date: April 6th 2017
Publisher: Bloomsbury Publishing
Part of a Series?: No, A Standalone
I Got A Copy Through: Bloomsbury India (THANK YOU!)
Buy Links: Amazon IN || Amazon US || Amazon UK || Barnes and Noble || The Book Depository || Wordery || Snapdeal || Infibeam || Foyles || Waterstones || WHSmith || Kobo || Books A Million || Chapters Indigo || Google Books
Blurb Description: Sixteen-year-old Bentley Royce is the wild child of a super-glam reality TV dynasty. She has it all – designer clothes, a fancy school and an actual Bentley to drive around in. Her ambitious mum Mercedes has dragged the family from trailer park to Hollywood stardom. But Bentley wants out – she wants to go to college, escape her own storyline, be NORMAL – but Royces don't do normal (or college).
Rolling with the Royces is running out of ways to keep viewers hooked and suddenly the show is threatened with cancellation. Bentley faces an impossible choice. Without the show, she could live the college dream – but her family would crumble (they are already twenty million dollars in debt). Bentley Royce has a mission. She must use her brains to save the show; if she saves the show, she can save her family – and she'll do whatever it takes
Actual Rating 3.5 Stars

As I sit here, typing out this review a few days after I finished reading Royce Rolls, I’m realizing that I STILL don’t know what I feel.

It took me a three days to get through the first half of this book, mostly because it took me a while to get used to everything about this book – the car names that the characters had, how disconnected they were and how much I struggled to connect with any one of them but the book did get better and I read the last half in a matter of two hours!

Image result for royce rolls margaret stohlLET ME EXPLAIN:

1.       When I say the word Royce’s, think Kardashians. Royce Rolls opens with their reality show on Hiatus, and the renewal of their sixth season seriously in doubt. The family is in a state of panic, except for the middle child, Bentley Royce who just wants a normal life and to go to college.

2.       The book started off well enough, giving you a standard shocking ending in the first chapter and then going back in time and showing you how the characters reached there but getting used to the characters was a bit of a task for me. Honestly, these aren’t my type of people – I’m definitely more grounded but that doesn’t mean I don’t like reading about the rich and the famous (Case in Point: Gossip Girl)

3.       I liked Bentley. I sympathised with Bentley. She was probably my favourite character with her ultra-scheming mind and her dreams to just be normal. I LIKED THIS GIRL WITH THE RAINBOW HAIR (Because HOW COOL IS RAINBOW HAIR?) but *SPOILER* How could she not recognize that the TWO BOYS SHE WAS PINING OVER WERE THE SAME? (I’m sort of shocked, honestly, and highlights that on some level, she was a very superficial character)

4.       Porshe (Bentley’s older Sister), Mercedes (Bentley’s mother) and Bach (Bentley’s Brother) were pretty much who I expected them to be and hence I actually enjoyed reading their hysterics and manipulations. Their dramatic lives were so Reality TV worthy!
5.       I ABSOLUTELY ADORED THE ENDING. I didn’t expect to end on such a high note, to be honest but it was cute and more importantly, IT TOOK ME BY SURPRISE. I love Diego Sanchez and Asa and Venice and Bentley. It was this amazing ending which I didn’t expect from a book I wasn’t LOVING left me smiling as I closed the book.

If you’re into hysterical manipulations, famous families and boatloads of drama Royce Rolls is probably the book for you.

Definitely worth at least one read to experience the madness that is “Reality TV” 
Margaret StohlMargaret co-wrote the first of the internationally bestselling Beautiful Creatures novels (published in nearly fifty countries, named Amazon’s top teen book of 2009, short-listed for the ALA’s 2009 Morris award, and released as a feature film from Warner Brothers) on a dare from her three daughters, she fell even more in love with teen culture. Her first sci-fi series, Icons, is now in development as a feature film with Alcon Entertainment. Her Black Widow series from Disney Publishing (Black Widow: Forever Red and Black Widow: Red Vengeance) is a welcome chance to rock a strong female character and to return to her beloved Marvel roots. She is also writing the Mighty Captain Marvel comics.   
If asked, Margaret will tell you that the Women of Marvel panel at New York Comicon was the greatest single hour of her life, and that she fangirls all girls who read comics. As a co-founder of YALLFEST, the biggest YA book festival in the country, and its offspring YALLWEST, Margaret believes her readers are her kindred spirits and her tribe. 
Margaret lives in Santa Monica with her husband, who builds drones and robots, and her three daughters, who are competitive epee fencers—and who, like Natasha Romanov, have always known how to rescue themselves. 
Are you an avid watcher of Reality TV? What are some of your favourite shows? 
What are some of your favourite books turned into TV Shows? 
Have your read Rocye Rolls? What did you think of it?

No comments:

Post a Comment