Geek Overload // REVIEW: Queens of Geek by Jen Wilde

Title: Queens of Geek
Author: Jen Wilde
Publication Date: March 14th 2017
Publisher: Swoon Reads (Macmillan)
Part of a Series?: No, A Standalone
I Got A Copy Through: Macmillan International (THANK YOU!)
Buy Links: Amazon IN || Amazon US || Amazon UK || Barnes and Noble || The Book Depository || Wordery || Foyles || Waterstones || Kobo || Books A Million || Chapters Indigo || Google Books
Blurb Description: When BFFs Charlie, Taylor and Jamie go to SupaCon, they know it’s going to be a blast. What they don’t expect is for it to change their lives forever.
Charlie likes to stand out. SupaCon is her chance to show fans she’s over her public breakup with co-star, Reese Ryan. When Alyssa Huntington arrives as a surprise guest, it seems Charlie’s long-time crush on her isn’t as one-sided as she thought.
While Charlie dodges questions about her personal life, Taylor starts asking questions about her own.
Taylor likes to blend in. Her brain is wired differently, making her fear change. And there’s one thing in her life she knows will never change: her friendship with Jamie—no matter how much she may secretly want it to. But when she hears about the Queen Firestone SupaFan Contest, she starts to rethink her rules on playing it safe.
Before I begin describing what was actually inside the book, I feel like that ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUSLY PINK MARVEL OF A COVER NEEDS TO BE DISCUSSED. It is so fun, perfect and AAH. It honestly feels like a privilege to own books with beautiful covers and Queens of Geek was one of those.

Also, this book was set in a fictional version of San Diego Comic Con which is the ONE CON my two best friends and I have been DYING to go to for years, and this book felt like I was living vicariously and I LOVED THAT.

THOUGHTS:

1.       This book tried to take on a LOT of topics – Anxiety, Sexuality, Body Shaming and Fame among others in a very small space. All of them were handled really well, and the intended message WAS put across, but in a book that is BARELY 300 pages, it felt rushed. Body Shaming got a chapter, Sexuality or rather Bisexuality was mostly given one conversation. I think it’s AWESOME that so much was there, I just wish it was all talked about more.

2.       THIS WAS SET IN A CONVENTION. WITH THREE BEST FRIENDS. And I really really loved it. What’s better than a bunch of real best friends who are all geeks at the biggest convention in the world geeking out and falling in love? THE BEST THANK YOU!
Image result for queens of geek
Graphic by Paper Fury

3.       While I thought that this book, and the issues it handled could have been dealt with in more depth, Anxiety was handled absolutely perfectly. More than anything else, I understood what Taylor was going through when the book was told in her viewpoint. I loved how it was explained to those of us who don’t suffer from Anxiety, I love how STRONG Taylor was at Supa Con. Basically I loved Taylor, and the writing that created her.

4.       Taylor and Jamie are my new OTP. HONESTLY. Best Friend Romances are my ACHILLES HEEL or plot lines and while I’d love them on principle, I ADORE the chemistry that Jen Wilde manages to create between them. They were both suck adorable geeky humans and so easy to love.

5.       I really liked Charlie as a person. She was strong and had her own insecurities and her voice was so powerful. She wasn’t just a pink haired movie star, she felt like a real person and I connected with her oh-so easily. 

Image result for queens of geek

Would I recommend reading this? UHM YES. If you’re a fangirl that loves reading books about Fangirls and best friends and Conventions, THIS IS SO FOR YOU!

An important geek filled ride that will leave you smiling, swooning and booking tickets to the con you’ve always dreamed of going too! 4 stars.  
Jen  WildeJen Wilde is a writer, geek and fangirl. Her debut into fiction, THE EVA SERIES, reached over three million reads on Wattpad and became an Amazon bestseller. 

When she’s not writing, she loves binge-watching Netflix, eating pizza, and going to pop culture conventions cosplaying as Marty McFly. 

Jen lives in a beachside town in Australia with her husband and their troublesome pug, aptly named Heisenberg. 
What are some of your favourite fandom based novels? 
Do you like reading books about cons and with fangirls, or do you feel like they're never good enough? 
WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THIS GORGEOUS COVER?
I can't wait to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment