Publication Date: March 30th 2017
Publisher: Bloomsbury India
Part of a Series?: Yes, Book 3/7 of The Bone Season Series
I Got A Copy Through: Bloomsbury India (THANK YOU!)
Buy Links: Amazon IN || Amazon US || Amazon UK || The BookDespository || Wordery || Flipkart || Snapdeal || Infibeam || Foyles || Waterstones || WHSmith || Kobo || Books A Million || Chapters Indigo || Google Books
Blurb Description: Following a bloody battle against foes on every side, Paige Mahoney has risen to the dangerous position of Underqueen, ruling over London's criminal population.
But, having turned her back on Jaxon Hall and with vengeful enemies still at large, the task of stabilising the fractured underworld has never seemed so challenging.
Little does Paige know that her reign may be cut short by the introduction of Senshield, a deadly technology that spells doom for the clairvoyant community and the world as they know it...
I have spent the better part of two weeks reading EVERYTHING that has been released about Paige Mahoney and her world and now I have no idea what to do with myself. I’ve been stalking and screenshotting EVERYTHING Samantha Shannon has been saying about book 4 because I NEED IT LIKE I NEED LIFE (and apparently it’s full of #Paiden ANGST and we LEARN MORE ABOUT WARDEN AND HELLO? *Throws money at it*)
The Song Rising picks up right after the ABSOLUTELY SHOCKING REVELATION at the end of The Mime Order (WHY CERTAIN CHARACTER WHY?) with Paige reeling from the truth, conflicted about her feelings about Warden and trying to understand her new role in the Syndicate.
Let’s get down to it:
1. THE BEGINNING AND THE END WERE ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT: You couldn’t imagine a more perfect start to this book – it was all adrenaline, all power and a whole new order in the Criminal Syndicate of London, AND THAT WAS JUST THE BEGINNING. The Ending pretty much wrecked me. I read over 150 pages this morning, ignoring EVERYTHING else around me and AAAH. No spoilers, but AAAAH.
2. THIS IS MORE POLITICAL THAT THE REST OF IT: I suppose you could call this book the beginning of a political revolution, moving away from London and to Manchester and Scotland and the ending takes all our favourite characters out of the heart of the Scion Empire and into the rest of Europe. It was highly political in the way that Paige met different leaders of the Voyant network in different cities, the MILITARY came in as did military strategy and there were so many mind games being played. I liked it, but it did take some getting used to.
3. THE MIDDLE SORT OF DRAGGED: I think when Paige was in Edinburgh, for the FIRST TIME EVER, this series sort of dragged a little. I felt like there were too many new characters, almost all of them SO SO STUBBORN. It was JUST a little, and picked up again twenty to thirty pages in, but it was still there.
4. PAIDEN WILL FOREVER BE MY OTP: HANDS DOWN, BEST. FICTIONAL. COUPLE. EVER. Or you know, not a couple but seriously, I ADORE HOW THE BOTH OF THEM WORK TOGETHER and how intensely they feel for each other and how their different powers work in sync when they’re together and AAH. I love their ability to just GET one another and the fact that Warden said that Terebell USED to be his mate because…
5. THIS SERIES IS ONLY THE BEST-EST OUT THERE: Hands down, NO OTHER SERIES has such BRILLIANT Worldbuilding and characters and POWER like this one does. I love the brutality in this dystopian/ fantasy world as well as the chemistry. This book shows you SO MUCH World and Character Development that it feels SO SO REAL AND CAN I HAVE MORE PLEASE?
I want nothing more than to dive into the next book in the series, and it kills me that I have to wait!
A heart wrenching, addicting, intense series with some of the best characters in a world that keeps getting better. I can’t wait for everything that is to come in this series, and I could not recommend it enough!
A MUST READ FOR ALL DYSTOPIAN FANS – this series is everything you never knew you were waiting for.
Samantha Shannon was born and raised in West London. She started writing in abundance when she was twelve, started her first novel when she was fifteen, and studied English Language and Literature at St Anne's College, Oxford, from 2010 – 2013, graduating with a 2:1.
In 2013, she published The Bone Season, the internationally bestselling first installment in a seven-book series of fantasy novels. Its first sequel, The Mime Order, was published in 2015, and she's currently editing the third book in the series, The Song Rising. She is also working on a high fantasy novel. Film rights to the Bone Season are held by the Imaginarium Studios, Chernin Entertainment and 20th Century Fox.
Have you gotten a chance to dive into The Bone Season Series yet? What did you think of it?