Review: Catch Me When I Fall by Vicki Leigh

Title: Catch Me When I Fall
Author: Vicki Leigh
Publisher: Curiosity Quills Press
Publication Date: October 23rd 2014
Part of A Series?: Yes, Part 1 of  2 (so far)
I Got A Copy Through: The author, for a review

Blurb Description:In 1814, at the age of seventeen, Daniel Graham sacrificed himself to save another. Recruited at his death to be a Protector of the Night, he has spent 200 years as a Dreamcatcher, guarding humans from Nightmares—clawed, red-eyed creatures that feed off people’s fears while they sleep. He’s become one of the best, but he wants nothing more than to stop. 

Then he’s given an assignment to watch over sixteen-year-old Kayla Bartlett, a clinically depressed patient in a psychiatric ward. Nightmares love a human with a tortured past. Yet, when they take a deep interest in her, appearing in unprecedented numbers, the job becomes more dangerous than any Daniel’s ever experienced—because someone with the power to control the monsters seems to want her dead.

Driven by his growing feelings for her, he whisks her away to Rome where others like him can keep her safe. Under their roof, the Protectors discover what Kayla is and why someone who can manipulate Nightmares has her in his sights. But before they can make a move, the Protectors are betrayed and Kayla is kidnapped. Daniel will stop at nothing to save her. Even if it means giving up his immortality.

He thought she was just another girl to protect. He was wrong.

**MY REVIEW**

“I was still a young soldier, just in a different kind of war. Good versus Evil. The cliché kind.”

I honestly don’t know what I was expecting from Catch Me When I Fall, for most of the time, I feel like I’ve simply outgrown the paranormal genre. But then, occasionally, there comes along a book that sounds good, and that makes me get into the genre again.

So, when I read the synopsis for this one, I was thinking along of the lines of damsel in distress girl with a strong boy, and a relationship that was so forbidden, that they just had to be together. Get the picture?

Well, I can quite honestly say that this was NOT that- and it surprised me! Because Catch Me When I Fall is a fresh, adrenaline filled and magically spelled book, GUARANTEED to keep you at the edge of your seats!

‘”War” was not a word we were accustomed to. We were the peacekeepers.”

The synopsis tells you what you need to know, so not much more about the actual story line except this- those paras that you’re reading, are just the VERY BEGINNING of the AMAZING tale that will leave you NEEDING to fangirl about it!

I loved that this book did NOT have a damsel in distress, or any of those other aforementioned clichés, I loved that this book had so many plot twists that you were left wondering where the heck the other one concluded and how the heck this new piece came into play. I also LOVED that this book had a wider focus range than more than two teens pining for each other (don’t get me wrong, that is good too, but this is just so FRESH!) And most of all I loved that no matter how hard I tried, this book was SO unpredictable, that I couldn’t help but falling in love.

Thinking in rather detail, though, I can only wish that the original rules of the Catchers were emphasised upon more, just a little, to make it seem a bit more, well, strict or whatever;)

Other than that, if you’re looking for a completely new take into the paranormal and magic genre- go ahead and pick up Vicki Leigh’s book- I couldn’t give it a higher recommendationJ

No comments:

Post a Comment